2023-24 General Auditions
GENERAL AUDITION NOTICE
Dates: October 3, 4, 5 & 6 2023
Factory Theatre is holding general auditions. Selected performers should prepare two contrasting contemporary monologues from plays written by Canadian playwrights; each must be one minute or less in length for a maximum time of two minutes (not including time between monologues). In fairness and respect to all selected, monologues will be stopped at the two-minute mark. Auditions are by appointment only and priority will be given to members of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association. Non-members will be seen on October 6 2023.
Factory Theatre is committed to inclusive casting. We encourage submissions from professional artists of all genders, ethnicities, and abilities. Please follow these links to our venue’s access information. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone customer service at (416) 504-9971
All roles for the 2023-2024 season have been cast. General auditions are primarily a way to introduce yourself and your work. Participants in general auditions may be considered for:
- Roles in future productions
- Work in play development processes (readings, etc)
- Participation in artistic development or training programs
We are not accepting recorded or virtual/Zoom audition requests.
We are only accepting audition requests for the dates indicated. If you are not available on these dates, please do not submit.
We are only accepting audition requests from artists who are legally able to work in Canada.
To be considered for general auditions, please email your headshot and resume with a 150-word paragraph introducing yourself and the kind of work you enjoy—such as new work, comedies, musical theatre, experimental, interdisciplinary, etc. (in one PDF file only) by September 10, 2023 to:
Mel Hague, Artistic Director
As you can appreciate, we handle a large volume of submissions and would welcome your help in providing the best possible consideration for you/your clients. Please read these submission instructions carefully; failure to adhere to these instructions means we will not see you, and late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Submission Instructions for INDIVIDUALS:
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
- PDF file name should be in this format: LASTNAMEFirstname.pdf
- Please indicate on the subject line of the email your Equity status in the following format: FirstName LastName Factory General Auditions 23-34: EQUITY/NON-EQUITY
Submission Instructions for CASTING AGENTS:
- We strongly advise you to have your clients submit individually while clearly indicating that you represent them in their email. Factory places a great deal of emphasis on the 150-word personal paragraph as a means of getting to know individual artists for auditions. Therefore, encouraging your clients to submit individually with this cover letter gives them a stronger chance of being selected for the General Auditions.
- If you are using e-pitches, please clearly separate (in different emails) Equity and Non-Equity candidates.
No late submissions will be accepted. We thank all applicants for their submissions, however only successful applicants will be contacted to arrange an audition.
No telephone inquiries please.
Should you need assistance selecting your Canadian monologues, these are some great places to start:
Playwrights Canada Press – https://www.playwrightscanada.com/index.php/
The 49 List – http://the49list.com/
Scirocco Drama: https://www.jgshillingford.com/product-category/scirocco-drama/
Canadian Play Outlet (Playwrights Guild of Canada): https://www.canadianplayoutlet.com/
Toronto Public Library – https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/books-video-music/specialized-collections/theatre-collection.jsp